12.19.2006

Snow sports

My public will be thrilled to learn that I have joined the masses and learned to downhill ski. Despite its resulting in the Sorest Day of My Life, I loved it.

On Saturday, a pack-o-clerks visited Alyeska for the first time this season, after getting word that Girdwood had finally gotten a healthy dusting of snow. It snowed all day and was totally beautiful and idyllic. A few of us newbies took a lesson, and I wasn't nearly as uncoordinated as I thought I'd be. In the afternoon, I tragically started out by accidentally going down a too-challenging slope, and lost some of my confidence and went back to the bunny slope/rope tow for a little while, but eventually found an easier hill and did a few evening runs. Almost all the trails are lighted--and good thing, otherwise the skiing would stop at 3:30 p.m.

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos (too much effort spent trying not to kill myself), but I'll post this awesome photo of me and my mom, taken at the top of the tram/Chair 1 at Alyeska a few weeks ago by my dad:


Alyeska
Originally uploaded by t-dawg.



We also FINALLY got some more snow here in Anchorage, meaning I can take my skate skis out for a much-needed second run. We had a warm-then-cold spell, so (until yesterday) the snow was totally icy, making for really terrible skiing. I think by tomorrow evening, my leg muscles will have recovered enough to obey my commands without too much pain.

1 comment:

moviequyn said...

next time we go to tahoe, we might have to do some 'real' skiing!!