Sorry, sightseeing humor. I am sitting now in a lovely coffee shop (with free wireless, of course) in Anchorage, drinking a tasty latte and looking around at my new home. Now I'm not saying I actually plan to take up residence at Kaladi Bros., but it's a sufficiently fantastic place that I wouldn't mind doing so. Luckily I just moved into an awesome little bungalow, so resorting to living out of coffee houses probably won't be necessary, although there are no nearby wireless networks for me to poach and I'm somewhat reluctant to activate an overpriced DSL connection. Anyway, I've only just started to explore the various cafes, bars, nooks, and crannies of Anchorage, but I'm pretty certain I'm in for an awesome year.
Okay, the elephant in the room--this is my, um, blog. I've been severely reluctant (can I be that??) to write a blog in the past, mostly due to this little nagging voice in the back of my head telling me "Tara! Nothing exciting happens to you! Get over yourself!" But now, something pretty exciting seems to be happening. I've moved a jillion miles away to a place a jillion times colder and bigger than California, and I've got several "firsts" coming down the pipes: most notably first time living outside California longer than a summer, and first full-time job lasting longer than 3 months. So here we are. I promise to try not to be too boring or too obnoxious, but I can't promise not to brag about all the fun I'm having.
Here is the short list of things I've done so far, with more detailed posts to come (photos are already up on Flickr):
- fabulous mother-daughter roadtrip over 800 miles from Orinda to Seattle
- marvelous ferry ride from Bellingham, WA to Haines, AK, along with my buddy John, my lovely lesbaru, and all my worldly possessions
- spectacular drive from Haines to Anchorage, covering over 700 miles and countless glaciers, mountains,
- first couple of days of work, including accidentally setting off the emergency exit alarm (but I wasn't the only one!!!)
ooookay time to go catch today's last few rays of sunlight... I am quickly learning that every sunny day is a blessing. Think good thoughts for clear Alaskan skies!

7 comments:
Yay Alaska! (That's all - I just wanted to be the first to comment. Sorry. I'm excited to read all about your chilly adventures and fishermen!)
Congrats on starting a new adventure! It's great to hear from you!
Tara, your adventures are inspiring. I'm moving to Israel in two weeks, and although it's not an entirely new place, it feels like a big change and a big sacrifice. I admire your sense of adventure and exploration. I'll be checking on your blog soon, and you can check mine out at livejournal -- "candystripedleg" is my handle.
Congrats and good luck!!
Em
Yo, miss you lots. Chris
Yo, miss you lots. Chris
Oh Tara...I miss you already. Go see some northern shows with some of the odd goods who reside up in the yukon.
<3
Bobby
Thank you Tara!
I was wondered how it will be like to live in alaska. Your tarasla.com would be a good place to check up what is new and interesting through your eye. Keep posting.
Glad to hear that you are happy.
Pong
Post a Comment