3.05.2007

All abooooooard

First thing's first. I must rewind to LAST weekend's most exciting event, before I expound on THIS weekend's most exciting event. Sometimes I have so many adventures it's hard to keep up. Oh woe is me!


Creepy baby and alien
Originally uploaded by t-dawg.
Anyway, last weekend was the much anticipated Ski Train event. I say much anticipated because we bought our tickets MONTHS ago at the insistence of former clerks and other Alaska residents, assuring us it would be the event of the year. IT WAS. Some very wise and coordinated friends organized our occupation of an ENTIRE train car, plus some overflow. And the theme of this year's ski train extravaganza was... SPACE ON A TRAIN.

The train left from anchorage at about 7:30 a.m. and headed north towards Talkeetna, with the eventual destination of Curry. Curry isn't a town really, it's just a... place, about 20 miles N.E. of Talkeetna, where there's good cross country skiing and snowshoeing. Beginning at 6am, our train car began loading with food, beverages, robots, aliens, celestial bodies, inflatable aliens and celestial bodies, tin foil, brains, antennae, and everything else our alien-loving hearts desired. Everyone was in costume, even the drinks, and the entire train was decked out impeccably. The partying began as soon as the train started moving--maybe even before. I dressed (again) as Starbuck from BSG, and wandered around shooting aliens and robots with my plastic gun. The car was packed with people, much to the amusement (and sometimes frustration) of other passengers who attempted to pass through.

Mid-day, we arrived in Curry, and the brave offloaded for some skiing. (The vast majority of the train's passengers were there more for the skiing than for the 12 hours of partying on the train before and after the skiing.) Weather in Curry was frigid, and the train had to make a jaunt up north for about 2 hrs to let another train pass. Those of us who weren't sure we'd last 2 hours out in the cold stayed aboard and continued the festivities. When the train got back, two of my coclerks and I popped out for about 45 min of frolicking on snowshoes. We found this awesome old caboose, and even got to explore the inside of it!


Me and caboose
Originally uploaded by t-dawg.


Back on the train, the party kicked back into high gear. Much Uno was played. And the Polka Car was opened. There is a "Tiki Railbar" on the train, and in the afternoon, the polka band sets up in there for an afternoon of crazed dancing. The tiny car turned into a polka mosh pit, NO JOKE. I had bruises. This photo accurately conveys what it was like in the polka mosh pit. It was crazed. But everyone loves the polka band (it was the highlight of our morning when the polka band wandered through our car and played a few songs).


Everyone loves the polka band
Originally uploaded by t-dawg.


The adventure ended with a bit of a dance party, limbo contest, and jello-brain-eating fest. At the end of the day, we were all EXHAUSTED, and went to bed at about 9pm. Oh Ski Train, I miss you already.

1 comment:

moviequyn said...

I NEED a picture of you as starbuck.