3.13.2007

Mackey wins!!

Lance Mackey of the Comeback Kennel has rolled into Nome with great fanfare, finishing the Iditarod in 9 days, 5 hours, 8 minutes, and 41 seconds. Luckily there was live TV coverage of the finish, or I think I would have gone crazy refreshing the results webpage. He's the first person ev-er to win the Yukon Quest and the Iditarod in the same year, with the same team. He is fantastic.

The news anchors kept commenting that Lance can always be counted on to provide the best sound bytes. It's so true. Best Lance quote of the race:
You have to keep a smart-ass attitude about it because it is miserable as hell, absolutely miserable.
And best Lance quote from the finish line:
My dad got me hooked on this sport. And I'm so proud of him not being a lawyer... cuz I don't know if I'd follow in his footsteps.
As my coclerk sagely says, some of us aren't so lucky. Just kidding Dad!!!!!!

Now I'm very anxious to get to Nome!! I can't wait to welcome and cheer for the mushers who are still toiling out there on the trail. I also can't wait to attend the Idita-Mardi Gras... we'll all have to wait to find out what the heck that is, but it's gotta be great.

No comments: