3.12.2007

Weekend winter sport trifecta

Skiing, igloo-building, and hockey.

Friday a few coclerks and I took the day off work to go skiing. It was one of the last days of night skiing so we wanted to take advantage, and see what the skiing was like on a weekday, and soon after our most recent dump of snow. It was, in a word, amazing. I stuffed my camera in my pocket again so I got a lot of great shots. Here's a favorite though, a shot looking down the run called Trapline, with only one tiny person in the shot:


View down Trapline
Originally uploaded by t-dawg.


And, because I just can't resist, this one of Justin and Dave and the gorgeous view of the Turnagain Arm:


Roberts and McGee
Originally uploaded by t-dawg.


There were so few people on the slopes, no lift lines, we cut the first tracks on some of the slopes in the morning, the sun was out, it was GLORIOUS. At night, all the teenagers came out, but we took a beer break and a dinner break to rest our legs. I skied until about 8 or 8:30pm, then rested on the couch in front of this fire until my compatriots were all skied out. On Saturday I was wicked sore but it was well worth it.

Saturday, I participated in an igloo-building contest, which ended in a group effort to get one igloo completed, which we did!!


The Team and the finished igloo!!
Originally uploaded by t-dawg.


We even fit six people inside, standing up! We all had to crawl on our bellies through a tunnel to get in, and once inside, had to be careful not to touch the somewhat precariously balanced walls, but it was quite a satisfying accomplishment. Much better than our previous attempt.

And third, Sunday we attended another Alaska Aces hockey game--sadly, one of the last of the season. Not enough fights or goals for any of us, but the Aces won 1-0. A good time was had by all, and much mongolian BBQ was eaten afterwards.

1 comment:

jk said...

that looks like an igloo for six paper thin midgets.